WHA performs system-level oxygen fire risk analyses to identify factors that affect potential ignition and propagation of fire throughout an entire system. WHA’s system-level analyses primarily focuses on the relationship between components within a system to identify hazards by considering system layout, operating procedures, compatibility of materials, and function of components within the system.
A system-level OFRA includes four important steps:
- Obtain system drawings or schematics that show oxygen flow and list all system components.
- Create a listing of all oxygen-wetted components.
- Evaluate the general severity of each component by considering operating conditions, material flammability, major ignition mechanisms, and personnel exposure.
- Make recommendations to lower the severity of the component, if needed, through changes to the system materials, design, procedures, or barrier protection.
WHA performs component-level oxygen fire risk analyses by evaluating the component’s internal oxygen-wetted piece parts, including their flammability, potential ignition mechanisms, fire propagation, ignition consequence, and the likelihood of fire based on the history of use. Material compatibility is based on relevant test data from standard testing and custom testing. If data is not yet available, additional material flammability analysis services may be required.
WHA is experienced in performing hazard analyses for many component types, including:
- Valves (Ball, Globe, Butterfly, Gate, Plug, Needle, Safety, Check, Flow Control)
- Valve Integrated Pressure Regulators (VIPR) or Integrated Valve Regulators (IVR)
- Medical Equipment: Portable Oxygen Cylinder/Regulator Setups, Ventilators, Concentrators
- Diving Equipment: Regulators, Nitrox Systems
- Oxy-Acetylene Welding Equipment
- Liquid Oxygen Vessels
- Specialty Designed Oxygen Components/Systems
Materials Flamability Analysis
Materials flammability analysis is our most limited-scoped hazard analysis type. Our engineers evaluate the material in its specific oxygen configuration and application, and apply relevant materials test data, to help evaluate its situational flammability. If no data is available but required to accurately assess the material’s situational flammability, we are able to provide comprehensive compatibility testing services to generate the data necessary for the analysis at the WHA Test and Training Facility.
Fire Risk Analysis Levels
System level risk analysis may include component level analysis and/or material flammability analysis. Oxygen fire risk analysis services are available at the following levels.
Level 1: OHC
Oxygen Hazard Consult
High-level review intended to provide rapid feedback. Typically appropriate for remote review.
Level 2: OHR
Oxygen Hazards Review
Same approach as Level 1 OHC, but includes a short summary report documenting the results.
Level 3: OFRA
Oxygen Fire Risk Analysis
Our most detailed and extensive oxygen hazards analysis for systems and components.